Friday 4 December 2020

NONSENSE VERSE


A Rumination on Ageing and Its Alternative


These new rhymes address disease

Morbid verses, so ill at ease

Life will bring you to your knees


Knobs inside all of my knuckles

My leather belt no longer buckles

Ageing isn’t all smiles and chuckles


Swirling bloody saliva sink

My nicotine gums ain’t so pink

Dentist says I need a rethink


My lungs are now paying the debt

But I lit it up without regret

God, I loved that first cigarette


I dare not speak about my liver

All a-flutter and all a-quiver

But I’ve never been a quitter


Pale rider on an equine prancer

The biopsy provides no answer

Could be that lump is cancer


Great clouds in my urine

Scratched scabs on my shins

Diabetes for my sins


A sharp pain in my chest

Localized to my left breast

This is it, cardiac arrest


Perhaps I’ll suffer a stroke

More than half my body broke

Limply paralyzed I’ll croak


Still, I haven’t lost my mind

Aged life isn’t entirely unkind

I take that as a vital sign                   


meGeoff has been your most unreliable, unbalanced and inaccurate alternative source of florid romantic verse since 2013. Sign up for e-mail alerts from the Crooked 9, use that thingy on the right. The second wave is here and winter is coming; you’ll need a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment