Thursday 2 May 2019

CORRESPONDENCE: DEAR meGEOFF

Another Letter from Tony

Driving across the country during the unpredictable Canadian spring can pose a dilemma and cause some consternation. My old friend Tony Intas writes from Montreal where he eventually arrived safe and sound.

Dear Geoff,

Change is inevitable, I guess; except maybe when it comes to tires.

This past month, I did a very Canadian thing, kind of like what I did last year, only three months earlier. I drove from British Columbia to Quebec.

Last year, I did the drive in early July in a land yacht that was as comfortable as a couch to drive. I gave it to a relative when I arrived in Montreal, who would get more use out of it than I would in a city where I walk, use public transportation and bicycle along the many kilometers of designated paths as a matter of course.

This year, I did the drive in early April in my late Mother's car, which one of my nieces had used for the past six years, a gift from Grandma - which I had to pay her for. (Yeah, I know!!) Like Grandma, my niece had treated it as a real "Little Old Lady Sunday Drive" special. However, it had winter tires on, something I had never required on the Left Coast for the 25 years that I lived there.


When I started my trip it was decision time. When to change over to the regular tires that were in the trunk and back seat? Change them too early and I would struggle if caught in a snowstorm or dangerous winter driving conditions that might end me and my trip prematurely. Change them too late and any fuel economy I might gain from regular tires would be lost but I would FINALLY get rid of that "low tire pressure warning" chime and dashboard light that would greet me very hour or so while driving.

I checked the weather forecast for the Prairies, Northern Ontario and la Belle Province. Temperatures would be below freeing in the mornings and warm up to a few degrees above during the day. A very strong possibility of the dreaded black ice! I decided to err on the side of caution and kept the winter tires on when I began my trip.

Kilometer after kilometer I drove, the "low tire pressure warning" chime and light taunting me as if to say, "Don't be a wuss, live on the edge, roll the dice, change the tires." Kilometer after kilometer I drove on perfectly dry roads with snow banks on either side leaking rivulets of snowmelt. Would tomorrow be the day the winter tires would save me? The day after that? The next one? I rolled on, comforted that my heavy rubber on the road would save me from anything, warning chime and light be damned. Thank God for the "reset" button, otherwise it would have been like being subject to the infamous Chinese Water Torture. I played the "when will the chime and light come on again" game, day after day.

Over some 5000 kilometers I lost about 1.5 litres/100km in fuel economy because I waited until I could see that I was the only idiot on the Trans-Canada Highway who still had his winter tires on. Oh well, less in the Estate for my beneficiaries when my time comes. As for giving this car away to another relative (I have lots of them here) I am going to wait until it at least warms up a bit more before  I walk, use transit or cycle the streets of Montreal. I think I have earned that privilege.

AMDG

Tony

Readers of this blog who find themselves in places where they don’t normally find themselves, actual or otherwise, are encouraged to write meGeoff a letter detailing their experiences and impressions. Get in touch with me. I’m on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment